Korean Fever Now
As far as my curiosity is concerned, I really don’t dig Korean trends that much, but don’t get the wrong idea, I don’t hate. I have no right to hate; it is because I believe that the colorful Gangnam Style and the Great Korean Fad that we are also experiencing now, is just a piece of the rich culture and history of Korea.
The Korean invasion spreads faster than we expected, after several Koreanovelas and a few Korean music videos aired on free TV, in a blink of an eye, everyone and everything transformed into Korean, the way they move, the way they speak and the way they dress, everything. They became Koreaboo.
Koreaboo: noun; a non-native Korean who is obsessed with Korean culture to the point where they denounce their own national/native identity and proclaim that they are Korean.
And if you are wondering what makes someone a Koreaboo, this will serve as your checklist;
This will serve also a guide for yourself, maybe you became a Koreaboo but not yet aware of it!
- You don’t eat anything, not unless it is Korean food
- You open your television for only one purpose, to watch Korean Dramas and News
- Fetish on Asian culture, focusing on Korean ways
- Korean preferences
- You utter some Korean Language when speaking, on purpose or by accident
- The urge to meet your favorite K-pop Star and hope that they will fall in love with you
- Marry one of them
- You want to live in Korea more than where you are currently living in
- You have the sense that you have to visit and experience Korea at least once in your life
- You listen, dress, speak Korean and looked like a legit citizen of Korea
Did you check yourself? If you got at least 5 to 6 items, congratulations for your new life ☺
And here is a list that will serve as a pocket guide for your new chapter in your life
Here are the 3 factors that might influence you in being a Koreaboo!
- Food – Food is everywhere, food is universal, and the spicy and flavorful taste of Koreans tickles the taste buds of us in some way. Most of us Pinoy’s always have a sweet spot for spicy foods or condiments, from Bicol Express, Caldereta and even Fried Chickens, we made them spicy most of the times. That is why we Filipino’s don’t have a hard time grasping the taste of Koreans.
- Music – The upbeat and disco tunes of Koreans really caught the attention of us Filipinos. Mixed with good looking singers we definitely fall for their music instantly. Needless to say we love to party and they are good at what they are doing even though we do not understand their lyricism.
- Clothing – For my point of view, this is the main factor why we love the people of Korea, it is on how they carry themselves on their chosen clothing. They defy the usual and embrace the weirdness of the fashion world, they mix odd colors, the rough and muscular image of boys became a glamorous and more feminine one and the girls they became much more fashionable in terms that they incorporate what they wear through their music, same as for boys also, can you imagine how weird it is? It is like we can use the cliché “the weirder the better” in their case.
The very basic concept of dressing up is to look presentable in every occasion or the specific errand you are going to attend to, its universal instinct that we have learned since we are young, but in Korean contemporary fashion culture, they are done in seeking the usual fashionable looks solely.
They are starting to get the hunch that there is more to the usual fashion they knew, and the strive for something “new”, drive the young fashion designers to breakdown gender norms and their dress codes, which affected the way Koreans present themselves. One good example of this are the boys in Korea, they started to wear makeup, but doing it in a different way than the girls, well maybe to avoid them looking like girls, which they really didn’t dodge the fact that they still look a lot like girls☺, and dressing up colorful clothing just like what the girls usually do most of the times, but in the end we Filipino’s still loves it ☺
Adding some Western style that we Filipino’s are fully aware, Korean fashion has been a big hit to us because we are always looking for something new and as if Koreans are reading our minds, they are already producing the clothing line that we Filipino’s have just started to get curious about. Maybe that was the secret that we are so attached in Koreans way of dressing up, we supported their line while it is still in period of development and put some of our own style.
Korea the Land of the Morning Calm, a country that is rich for culture and traditions, has a colorful history and rapid industrialization, has greatly affected the next generation of ours and will still continue to influence us in the long run, whether if it’s for good or bad the fact that the Korean culture has done a great job on giving new colors to our culture and traditions, that will be written accordingly in our history books.